Say goodbye to Saturday mail service | News
WASHINGTON (AP) - The financially struggling U.S. Postal Service says it plans to stop delivering mail on Saturdays, but continue delivering packages six days a week.
In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the cut, beginning in August, would mean a cost saving of about $2 billion annually.
The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points - package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010.
The delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet use.
Upcoming Events near Fair Oaks / Carmichael
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- How to brighten the day of a 5-year-old boy recovering from brain surgery
- 1st Annual Placer Memorial Run Motorcycle Ride Honors Officer Bill Bean, Jr., Sac PD
- Antelope high school student wins dream prom makeover
- Death penalty on table for driver in deadly Antelope chase, crash
- Twins accused of murder in Antelope crash deaths